For more information and to register, CLICK HERE
An exciting of weekend of racing on the Dickerson Whitewater Course will culminate with the naming of our National Champions and selection of our Junior and U23 Teams to represent the U.S. in Foz d’Iguacu, Brazil, at the 2015 Junior/U23 World Championships next April.
Thursday, September 25:
2-7pm: open practice
Friday, September 26:
10am-4pm: open practice
4-5pm course construction
5pm: demo runs
Saturday, September 27
10-11:30am first runs
12:30-2pm: second runs
2:15-3pm course construction
3pm demo runs
3:30-5pm: race banquet
Sunday, September 28
10-11:30am first runs
12:30-2pm: second runs
Additional Training at Dickerson:
We will add extra training slots at Dickerson during the month of September for PWRC members. Please contact Dana Chladek to participate in these sessions.
DUE TO HIGH WATER, THE RACE IS POSTPONED TO JUNE 8TH.
A novice-level slalom race on the class II Feeder Canal in Brookmont, MD. The course will be set by Friday and open practice on the course will be available. Awards will be given for U12′s, U14′s, U16′s, U18′s, Open, Senior Classes, as well as Open Canoe, and plastic boats. All local athletes must provide a volunteer with their entry or pay the volunteer opt out fee with their registration . Volunteers can help in many ways before, after, or during the race: pick up and serve food, help with course construction, judge, time, or score.
This race is a qualifier for the Mid-Atlantic Youth Regional Team for U12′s, U14′s, and U16′s.
Friday and Saturday, May 16 and 17-open practice
Sunday, May 18
9:30 course closed
9:30 bib hand out/racers’ meeting
9:30 judges’ and timers’ meetings
10:00am first run
approximately11:15am: second run
approximately 1:00pm: awards
I could not have expected a better environment [than here],” LeFèvre said. “I love to share my knowledge with people. They send me positive energy and I feel very supported. For that I want to succeed, I don’t want to disappoint them. I don’t want them to think I can come and take a slot on the team and not do well. I want to bring gold back for the United States.”
To read full article, CLICK HERE.
Four PWRC athletes qualified to compete in the World Cup in Europe and the World Championships at Deep Creek this September this past weekend at the National Whitewater Center in Charlotte, NC.
Fabien Lefevre and Casey Eichfeld took the top two spots in men’s single canoe
Dana Mann and Ashley Nee were 1-2 in women’s kayak
Fabien Lefevre is in first in men’s kayak.
Casey Eichfeld won men’s double canoe with his partner Devin McEwan.
Click HERE for Live Results
To help fund Dana Mann’s quest to medal in the World Cup and World Championships, CLICK HERE.
To help fund Ashley Nee’s quest to medal in the World Cup and World Championships, CLICK HERE.
To help fund Casey Eichfeld’s quest to medal in the World Cup and World Championships, CLICK HERE.
To meet Fabien Lefevre, Bethesda’s newest Olympic Medalist and World Champion and top finisher in K-1 and C-1 at the Team Trials, CLICK HERE
2014 Mid-Atlantic Regional Team Qualifiers
#2: Saturday, March 15-Dickerson Spring Race 2
#3: Sunday, March 16:-Dickerson Spring Race 3
#4: Sunday, May 4: Kish Slalom, Lewistown, PA
#5: Sunday, May 18: Feeder Spring Fling
#6: Saturday, May 31: Dickerson Intermediate Slalom
#7: Sunday, June 1: Feeder Summer Slalom
2014 Mid-Atlantic Regional Team Selection Criteria
Athletes who have qualified for their Regional Team are eligible to attend a Regional Team Training Camp coached by the US National Team Coaches. The Camp for the regions east of the Mississippi will be held at Nantahala August 12-14. Those athletes who go on to race in the 2014 Junior Olympics, Age-Group Nationals, Junior Worlds, a Regional Team Training Camp or one of the Canadian Slalom Series races, will be awarded a small stipend to offset travel or other expenses.
1. Athletes must compete in at least three races:
2. Regional Team placing will be determined by adding points from three races. In case of a tie, tiebreaker will be an average of percentage off of the top junior K-1 in the three counting races.
3. The Regional Team will consist of the top two U12, U14, and U16 athletes per class provided there are at least three athletes in the class. If there are two or fewer athletes in the class, only one athlete will be named to the Regional Team.
4. A travel/training stipend will only be awarded to athletes who have gone on to race in the 2014 Junior Olympics, Age-Group Nationals, Junior Worlds, one of the Canadian Slalom Series races, a Regional Team Training Camp, or other designated races. The awards will be made after the designated competitions are completed, and evidence of athlete attendance is received.
5. Each athlete may receive only one monetary reward.
6. Recipients of awards must be USA Canoe/Kayak members.
7. An athlete’s eligibility for selection to a particular team category is determined by the athlete’s “competition age” (age on December 31 of 2014).
Complete rules for the Regional Team program can be found at:
Thank you all for coming to the Dickerson Spring Race!
Special thanks go to our volunteers:
George Ivan and Greg Bertrand on timing. No missed times and perfect height adjustment at the finish even with dropping water levels on the Potomac!
Lauren Bixby and Scott Mann on scoring with young assistants Lena Mojsiak and Emma Morgan Joseph.
Judges and timing assistants Carlos Ifarraguerri, Nancy Templeton, Renata Altman, Cheryl and Rick Smith, Pascal Pittman, Laura Mosier, Adam Joseph, Ned Poffenberger, Florence Lehr, Dorothee Utz, Adam Van Grack, and Jurij Mojsiak.
Course Design by Silvan Poberaj and Scott Parsons
Hospitality provided by Andrea Joseph and Jurij Mojsiak.
Photography by Irene Owsley.
Looking forward to seeing you again at Dickerson
for the U.S. Nationals in October!
Come to PWRC’s Annual Meeting, Potluck Dinner, and Elections!
When: Sunday, February 16 a 7:00pm
Where: Brookmont Church (4000 Virginia Place, Bethesda, MD 20816)
Help PWRC start out another fantastic year of paddling, races, and athlete results! We will have our annual meeting, eat great food, and elect our new Board of Directors. If possible, please bring a food or drink item.
- email Dana by January 24 to enter; there is no entry fee.
- racers must be current 2014 PWRC members and on the Basin list as of January 20, 2014.
- participants will be assigned to a team (France, Russia, etc..)
- teams will have mixed ability and age levels
- racing will be in an exciting head to head relay format
- competition will consist of a flatwater sprint (approx 3 min. long) and a two slalom events(approx 90 sec. long each)
- Open practice on course will be from 9-9:45 am, and race will go from 10am to 12pm on Sunday.
In conjunction with our Party and Fundraiser at the Irish Inn, photographer Irene Owsley is offering her beautiful pictures from the Fall Feeder Slalom Classic for sale with ALL PROCEEDS DONATED TO THE POTOMAC WHITEWATER RACING CENTER.
Cost is $20 for a 5×7 print on 8/12 x 11 paper.
PHOTO MUST BE PICKED UP AT AUCTION or by appointment with Irene.
THANK YOU IRENE!